|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
Looking Across Town toward the Union Hall—In 1902 W.A. Hall built (off company ground) the large building which served as his and a partner's store downstairs and as Union Hall upstairs. People who lived in that pocket of residences included Billy North, William Rowlands, Theo. Brockmans and the John McDonalds (on down over the crest of the ridge). England's and Forsythe’s Saloons were also there. The schoolhouse is as it stood after the 1904 addition of the third room. The road pictured is the "High Road" and comes in from the Divide and is a short distance below the new Company Store. After Hall built his Gardiner store in 1903 and served
Aldridge by delivery wagon, the lower portion of the building was taken over by the lodges. Mae and Janet Ferguson cleaned the Union Hall. Later the rooms served as an athletic gym. Children of the day remember that Old Sarah came into this area behind the picture center and camped with her wagon and her girls at one time, but she was driven out of town. Seen here on the near side of the Black Ditch are England's and Driscoll’s houses. Small picture shows the same view in 1919 with the old Company Store gone; now such a picture could not be taken—the trees hide all the view.
|Title||Looking Across Town toward the Union Hall|