Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 2006.044.0030
Object Name Print, Photographic
Description Shown in its entirety, here is the operation which gave Aldridge a population of 800 people. From the left is shown the shedded orecar track from the Slope and the Straight Entry to the tipple where orecars dumped into the bunker. Below at right is the washer. The little extension on the shed (extreme left) marked the location of the scales where the production was weighed. The towers of the aerial tram line to Foster Mine lead to the upper left. Just to their right is the scaffolding and hoist above The Shaft. - Ald. - p. 38

The Mine.
Into the bunker and washer right in the upper part of town came the coal from the Straight and the Slope and the No. 4 Mine. By aerial tram, coal was also brought from the Foster Mine up behind Aldridge. From here it was sent, first by flume and then by aerial tram to the coke ovens at Electric. The wonderful No. 7 Vein which brought it about was first discovered in 1892, but remained un-worked through the Panic of '93 and the resultant ownership change. - 60mi p.40

Photographer Bill Whithorn
Title At the Mine, Then
Collection Whithorn Collection