Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 2006.044.0010
Object Name Print, Photographic
Description Electric, Montana, after 1905 - During the long strike The Company proceeded with expansion plans. One of those was the building of a very large store for the Montana Coal and Coke Trading Co. at Horr. It was completed in 1905. The name of the town of Horr became Electric during the summer of 1904. - Ald. - p. 13

Electric, Montana.
As the railroad came and development began on the Horr Coal Measures, a settlement of workmen soon grew into the town of Horr, where a maximum of 225 ovens was in operation at one time. With the building of the big electric plant and the increasing importance of electricity, the name of Horr became Electric in 1904. - 60mi p.38

Electric, Montana, the town where 225 coke ovens burned the coal produced from the mines at Aldridge, was changed from Horr in 1904. The big Montana Coal & Coke Company Store was built in 1905. Mining stopped June 30, 1910. In 1981, the Church Universal and Triumphant (CUT) moved their headquarters here from California. - P.V. p.33

Photographer Bill Whithorn
Title Electric, Montana, after 1905
Collection Whithorn Collection